2018 Backcountry Festival Schedule
Backcountry Festival, presented by Three Creeks Brewing Company, returns to Hoodoo on Jan. 12-13, 2018, with a wide selection of 2018 alpine touring demo equipment on site. The event includes Central Oregon Avalanche Association seminars, beacon training from Corvallis Mountain Rescue, industry professionals, live music by Blackstrap Bluegrass on the Three Creeks beer garden patio and a variety of races scheduled throughout the day. Trophies and prizes will be awarded to the top two male and female racers in each race. Kids can earn their Junior Ranger Snow Badge by participating in the four levels of winter science and wildlife.
Interactive displays will showcase the best backcountry hardgoods and accessories while providing skiers and riders with critical safety information. Guests can also try out the latest models of fat bikes, skies, boots, bindings and lightweight goods.
For more information about the hands-on snow cave building session along with a free ride to the event on Saturday with REI & the River House, visit RecEnroll Eugene or call Melinda at 541-682-5329
Pack your snow tent and 800-fill sleeping bag and campout for two full nights of backcountry culture at its finest. This is your chance to celebrate every form of human powered touring into the backcountry. Whether you ride, glide, slide, bike, run or walk into the backcountry, you won’t want to miss BC Fest 2018.
BC FEST 2018 SCHEDULE
FRIDAY, JAN. 12
• 1-9 pm: Snow camp set up. Bring everything you would need to snow camp in the backcountry but set up next to the Hoodoo lodge. There will be a clearly marked area and of course close to the action. $10 overnight camping fee is required. Please check in at ticket office
• 3-9 pm: Fire Pit and Three Creeks Brewing Company Beer Garden on the snow.
• 5-9 pm: DJ on the patio
• 5-9 pm: Ski flicks in the Mountain Hardware Space Station Dome Tent!
SATURDAY, JAN. 13
• 7:30 am: Sunrise Burn and Turn – Straight up headwall as soon as Ski Patrol gives us the go ahead
• 9 am – 2 pm: Gear Demo: Berg’s Ski and Snowboard shop
• 9 am – 4 pm: 2017 Gear Preview: Scarpa, La Sportiva, G3, Black Diamond, and Burton,
• 11 am & 2 pm: Join members of Corvallis Mountain Rescue Unit for a refresher on avalanche rescue skills. Meet at the CMRU tent in the main Hoodoo bowl with your personal transceiver, probe, shovel, and pack. We will review group beacon checks, then practice single and multiple burial scenarios. CMRU will have a limited number of beacons to share if you don’t have your own. New and experienced back country enthusiasts are welcome to join.
• 10 am – 2 pm: Junior Snow Ranger certification. No need to register. Become a Jr. Snow Ranger
o Activity book, badge and give-away items.
o Pelts, skulls and scat table.
o Snow Science table – snow crystal exploration, blubber hand and cozy critters, frozen bubbles
o Games/Activities table – Animal Ambulation
o Snowshoe demos., snowshoe hokey pokey
• 10 am-7 pm Fat Bike Course – Circle course set up in bowl for bikers to test their agility skills over obstacles and around banks.
• 1 pm: All comers Battle into the Backcountry – All human powered ways of entering the backcountry are invited to participate in a short uphill and downhill race. Air horn start ascending Easy Rider hill, following arrows up over easy and back down Blue Valley. Registration forms in the Mountain Hardware Space Station Tent.
• 1 pm – 9 pm: Three Creeks Brewing Company Beer Garden on the patio.
• Noon-4 pm DJ On the Patio
• 3 pm: Central Oregon Avalanche Association Safety Session! Details TBD
• 3-9 pm: Fire pit in the bowl.
• 4:15 pm: Trophy ceremony – BC Fest custom leather pint Sheath and gear for top placers.
• 4:30-9:00 pm: Blackstrap Bluegrass plays live music on the patio